Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving thanks

I must be getting older, because it seems I become more philosophical on Thanksgiving day the last couple of years. All morning I've been reflecting on the past year, and how even with it's ups and downs, we still have so much to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my wonderful husband. He continually stresses himself out worrying about keeping us afloat, how to send Meagan to college, how to make sure we all have what we need, and yet still fights me about going to the doctor. I am also thankful for his support of my new photography venture. He constantly encourages me and tells me how talented he thinks I am, and I love him dearly.

I am thankful for my beautiful and talented daughter Meagan. She is witty, bright, and I am so proud of the young woman she has become. My playgroup moms continually tell me what a wonderful girl she is, how well mannered and how good she is with their children, and I couldn't agree more. Yes, she's lazy and sloppy, but as my parents know, that just means she's definitely my child :)

I'm thankful for my son Robbie, whose boundless energy never seems to fade. He is funny and loving and smart, and will probably be the class clown as he gets older. I hope someday his competitiveness will be used for good rather than evil.

I am thankful for my daughter Katie, who fills our days with music, often just made up in her head. She continues to amaze us as she teaches herself to read and finds so much fun in the things she learns in school (even if she doesn't care for PE like her big sister) May she always feel the joy that brings her to song so often, and may she learn that self esteem and confidence are one of the most valuable assets a girl can carry with her.

I am thankful for the noise my children make as they run and play through the house, because they can. They are all healthy, and for that I am so grateful as I know many parents who do not have that gift. It makes me appreciate it even more, and pray for those I know who struggle with their children's illnesses and hope for healing.

I am so thankful that Rob and I still have all of our parents, even as they have all had their medical challenges this year. Our parents have been a beacon of home for us as we moved from Florida, and even though we have been gone almost 2 years, we still think of home as where they are.

And then there are our friends. Friends in Florida who we cherish, and new friends in Tennessee who have become so much a part of our everyday lives. They have laughed with us and prayed for us and we feel very fortunate to have been lucky enough to meet such wonderful people. There are also friends who live far away, some who I have never met and may never meet, but are considered friends none-the-less, as we have shared experiences and life events that keep us together.

I am thankful that God has provided us with a roof over our heads and food on our table, that he gave me a wake-up call with my health this year and will hopefully help me find the strength to do what I need to get healthy and stay healthy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday. My husband took the cooking out of my hands today and ordered a complete meal from Publix. Gotta love that man LOL.

1 comment:

Holly Lesnick said...

Hey Beth! Happy Thanksgiving. I love your post, and all the ones before it. I haven't been to your blog in a while.. The kids look great!!!! So big! All the Lesnicks send their love. Love, Holly